Rule 50: Acceptance of Children
- Full Text
- Rule 1: Application of Tariff
- Rule 2: Emergency Situations
- Rule 3: Schedules and Operations
- Rule 4: Restricted Items
- Rule 5: Definitions
- Rule 10: Passports and Visas - Responsibility of Passenger
- Rule 35: Refusal to Transport
- Rule 40: Electronic Surveillance of Passengers and Baggage
- Rule 50: Acceptance of Children
- Rule 55: Service Animals
- Rule 90: Oxygen
- Rule 95: Claims
- Rule 96: Customer Advocate Issues
- Rule 100: Tickets - General
- Rule 105: Ticket Validity
- Rule 115: Confirmation of Reserved Space
- Rule 135: Cancellation of Reservations
- Rule 150: Application of Fares - General
- Rule 160: Currency
- Rule 170: Round-Trip Fares
- Rule 175: Circle-Trip Fares
- Rule 180: Stopovers
- Rule 185: Routings
- Rule 187: Minimum Fares
- Rule 190: Acceptance of Baggage: General
- Rule 195: Conditions and Charges for Acceptance of Special Items
- Rule 200: Conditions and Charges for Acceptance of Live Animals
- Rule 205: Checked and Carry-On Baggage
- Rule 215: Cabin-Seat Baggage and Charges
- Rule 220: Baggage - General Conditions of Acceptance
- Rule 225: Baggage Charges
- Rule 230: Liability - Baggage
- Rule 235: Flight Delays/Cancellations (Standby Passengers)
- Rule 240: Flight Delays/Cancellations (Confirmed Passengers)
- Rule 245: Denied Boarding Compensation
- Rule 255: Rerouting
- Rule 260: Involuntary Refunds
- Rule 270: Voluntary Refunds
- Rule 275: Foreign Currency Refunds
- Rule 392: Returned Check Charge
Children under 12 years of age are accepted for transportation between the Continental USA and Hawaii or for travel wholly within Hawaii, when accompanied on the same flight and in the same compartment by a passenger at least 15 years of age.
Infants occupying a seat will pay the charge noted in paragraph C below. A maximum of 1 infant is permitted for each adult. HA recommends the child be placed in an approved infant safety seat. Infants under 7 days of age will not be accepted for transportation unless a medical statement is presented stating the infant is stable for travel.
Children under 12 and at least 5 years of age who are not accompanied on the same flight and in the same compartment by a passenger 15 years of age or over (“Unaccompanied Minor”) are accepted for transportation subject to the terms of the charts in this paragraph and the additional terms and conditions specified in this Rule.
Routing HA Mandatory Fee
1-4 Not Permitted N/A N/A 5 – 11 Required Within the State of Hawaii US$35.00 for all flights (i.e., non-stop, direct, multi-stop, connecting service from HA to HA). Between the Continental US and Hawaii (non-stop, direct) US$100.00 for non-stop/direct/connecting flights Unaccompanied Minors are accepted for HA to HA connecting service only. No connections to or from other carriers or on code-share flights.
For tickets issued on/after May 15, 2017:
Routing HA Mandatory Fee
1-4 Not Permitted N/A N/A 5 – 11 Required Within the State of Hawaii US$35.00 per flight (i.e., non-stop, direct, multi-stop, connecting service from HA to HA) Between the Continental US and Hawaii (non-stop, direct) US$100.00 per flight for non-stop/direct/connecting flights Unaccompanied Minors are accepted for HA to HA connecting service only. No connections to or from other carriers or on code-share flights. Charges will be assessed per flight segment.
The following terms and conditions will also apply:
- The mandatory fee is payable for each flight at the time of check in. HA will accept up to two (2) Unaccompanied Minors in an immediate family with the same drop-off/pick-up information for a single mandatory fee. Each additional Unaccompanied Minor exceeding two (2) will be assessed the mandatory fee.
- Unaccompanied Minors must be brought to the airport of departure by a parent or responsible adult who must complete the required HA documentation, furnish valid and unexpired government-issued photo identification acceptable to HA and furnish HA with satisfactory evidence, including name, phone number and address of (a) the parent or responsible adult who will be meeting the Unaccompanied Minor upon deplaning at his/her destination and (b) where possible, an alternate responsible adult who may pick up the Unaccompanied Minor upon deplaning. A parent or responsible adult must escort the Unaccompanied Minor to the gate for a departing flight and remain at the gate until the flight has departed, and pick up the Unaccompanied Minor at the designated area at each airport immediately upon arrival. The parent or responsible adult meeting the Unaccompanied Minor must be one of the contact people listed on the Unaccompanied Minor form submitted at the time of the Unaccompanied Minor’s departure. HA will only release the Unaccompanied Minor to the individual(s) named on the document.
- The Unaccompanied Minor will not be accepted if the flight on which the Unaccompanied Minor holds a reservation is expected to terminate short of or bypass his/her destination.
- Whether in advance or at check-in, if there is a possibility the Unaccompanied Minor’s flight may be delayed, or there may be a misconnection for any reason, HA may change the Unaccompanied Minor’s flight schedule, including departure date.
- Travel will not be allowed on a Hawaiian Airlines flight departing between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m. unless travel is on flights operating out of Honolulu, Hawaii, which are the only flight of the day. Unaccompanied Minors will not be accepted for travel on the last connecting flight of the day to their final destination.
- Unaccompanied Minors are not accepted on:
- Flights to/from international destinations including American Samoa, or which require an overnight stay in order to make a connection
- Connecting flights to/from another carrier
NOTE: This exception shall not apply to Unaccompanied Minors connecting on flights between Hawaiian Airlines and Empire Airlines DBA ‘Ohana by Hawaiian.
- Any codeshare flights
Except as provided in specific fare rules, children traveling as Unaccompanied Minors or accompanied pay a full adult fare.
Responsibility of Carrier
- For the purpose of this rule, HA will provide supervision for Unaccompanied Minors accepted under this program from the time of boarding until the Unaccompanied Minor is met at deplaning at the final destination.
- HA will provide a gate pass to ensure the guardian/parent can escort the Unaccompanied Minor to the gate for departure and meet the Unaccompanied Minor upon arrival for those cities which permit access to the gate.
- HA will not assume any financial or guardianship responsibility for providing this service.
Maximum Flight Connection Times
The maximum ground connection time for all Unaccompanied Minors will be 2 hours.
Exception: If the next scheduled connecting flight exceeds 2 hours, Unaccompanied Minors must be booked on the next scheduled flight that same day and will not be allowed on a later flight. If that flight is not available for sale, the Unaccompanied Minor will not be accepted for travel on that date and must be booked on another day where these conditions can be met.