If you enjoyed our Chef Series, we’ve put together a recipe book for you to download, share and enjoy!
View the Cookbook
Chef Lee Anne Wong, our Executive Chef and owner of Koko Head Cafe in Honolulu, Hawaiʻi, is back! In this video, she shows us how to make a local favorite - shoyu ʻahi poke!
Shoyu ʻAhi Poke
- 1 lb sashimi grade boneless fish (ahi, salmon or marlin)
- 4 oz Maui onion, sliced thin and rinsed
- 2 green onions, cleaned and sliced thin
- 1/2 cup shoyu
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 heavy pinch of red alae sea salt
- 1 tablespoon inamona (kukui nut), or toasted chopped macadamia nuts
- Dice your fish into 3/4" cubes.
- Slice your onion thin, going along the grain and rinse well under cold water.
- Mix the fish with the sliced onion and chopped green onions.
- In a separate bowl, stir the shoyu, sesame oil and sugar together until dissolved, pour over the poke. 5. Sprinkle a pinch of alae sea salt and mix well. Transfer to a serving vessel then sprinkle with inamona or chopped macadamia nuts. You can refrigerate and serve within 24 hours or enjoy immediately!