If you enjoyed our Chef Series, we’ve put together a recipe book for you to download, share and enjoy!
View the Cookbook
Chef Wade Ueoka is one of our Featured Chefs and co-owner + Chef of MW Restaurant in Honolulu, Hawaiʻi. Watch this video to see learn Chef Wade’s tips and tricks for making delicious shoyu chicken at home! His recipe is made with simple ingredients and is easily customizable – perfect for any palate.
Shoyu Chicken Recipe
- 1 pound of chicken (about 3-4 thighs)
- 6 cups water
- 1 small piece konbu
- 2 oz soy sauce
- 2 oz mirin
- Cornstarch slurry (mixture of equal parts cornstarch and water)
- 1 oz green onion
- 3 oz onion
- 3 oz carrot
- 3 oz daikon
- Add 6 cups of water to pot and bring to a boil.
- When the water begins to bubble, add chicken thighs and konbu to pot.
- On the side, dice onions, carrots and daikon into chunks and chop green onions.
- Once complete (about 5 minutes), throw vegetables into boiling water and move chicken to cutting board.
- Cut chicken into similar sizes to the vegetables and throw them back into the pot.
- Add in soy sauce and mirin to taste.
- Mix ingredients together and slowly add cornstarch slurry until the liquid thickens.
- Add green onions.