Rule 125: Excess Value Charges for Baggage
- Full Text
- Rule 1: Definitions
- Rule 2: Standard Format of Electronic Rules
- Rule 4: Restricted Items
- Rule 5: Application of Tariff
- Rule 8: Guests with Disabilities and Portable Oxygen Concentrators
- Rule 10: Special Airport Lounge Facilities
- Rule 25: Refusal to Transport - Limitations of Carrier
- Rule 35: Passenger Expenses En Route
- Rule 40: Taxes
- Rule 45: Administrative Formalities - Passports, Visas, and Tourist Cards
- Rule 55: Liability of Carriers
- Rule 56: Service Animals
- Rule 60: Reservations
- Rule 65: Tickets
- Rule 76: Returned Check Charge
- Rule 80: Revised Routings, Failure to Carry, and Missed Connections
- Rule 85: Schedules, Delays, and Cancellation of Flights
- Rule 90: Refunds
- Rule 95: Amenities/Services for Delayed Passengers
- Rule 97: Acceptance of Baggage
- Rule 100: Conditions and Charges for Acceptance of Special Items
- Rule 105: No Acceptance of Pets For International Travel
- Rule 110: Checked and Carry-On Baggage
- Rule 115: Baggage Allowance
- Rule 123: Excess Baggage Charges
- Rule 125: Excess Value Charges for Baggage
- Rule 130: Fares
- Rule 135: Stopovers
- Rule 140: Routings
- Rule 200: Acceptance of Children
- Rule 500: Passengers On Stretchers
Excess Value Charges
Under the baggage liability limits of the Montreal Convention, the liability of the Carrier for each passenger for the destruction, loss, damage, or delay of checked baggage is limited to 1,131 Special Drawing Rights (SDRs) unless the passenger at the time the checked baggage is handed to the Carrier, declares a value in excess of 1,131 SDRs per passenger for the checked baggage.
- When such declaration is made, a charge of such
excess value will be assessed by each carrier
participating in the carriage at the following rates:
Convention Charge Additional Amount of Liability Montreal US$1.00 per $100.00 Or Fraction Thereof for a maximum of 1131 SDRs
- If the passenger has paid the excess value charge, the carrier will be liable for destruction, loss, damage or delay of such checked baggage in an amount not exceeding the declared amount, unless the carrier proves that the declared amount is greater than the passenger’s actual interest in delivery at the destination. The declared amount, and the amount of the carrier’s liability, shall not exceed the total amount of declaration permissible under the carrier’s regulations, inclusive of the limitation of paragraph 1.a hereof. Nevertheless, the carrier may impose charges for pieces of baggage in excess of any free allowance the carrier may provide.
- This rule shall not entitle the passenger to declare such excess value for baggage in connection with carriage over carrier's route in relation to which the above rule does not permit such declarations, unless the carriage over such route forms a part of through carriage including other route in relation to which such declarations are permitted.
- When such declaration is made, a charge of such excess value will be assessed by each carrier participating in the carriage at the following rates:
Valuation Limit of Baggage
For travel wholly within the United States, refer to Rule 230 of the domestic Contract of Carriage.
Collection of Excess Value Charges
Excess value charges will be payable at the point of origin for the entire journey to final destination; provided, that, if at a stopover en route, a passenger declares a higher excess value than that originally declared, additional value charges for the increased value from the stopover at which the higher excess value was declared to final destination will be payable.
EXCEPTION: Excess value charges will be payable only to the point to which the baggage is checked or to the point of transfer to another carrier if such point precedes the point to which baggage is checked.
Excess Value Charges on Re-routings or
When a passenger is rerouted or his carriage cancelled, the provisions which govern with respect to the payment of additional fares or the refunding of fares shall likewise govern the payment of excess value charges. No refund of excess value charges will be made when a portion of the carriage has been completed.