Rule 1: Definitions
- Full Text
- Rule 1: Definitions
- Rule 2: General Provisions
- Rule 3: Reservations and Ticketing
- Rule 4: Cancellation of Reservations
- Rule 5: Tickets and Flight Coupons
- Rule 6: Fares
- Rule 7: Check Acceptance
- Rule 8: Guests with Disabilities and Breathing Devices
- Rule 9: Wheelchairs and Other Assistive Devices
- Rule 10: Service Animals
- Rule 11: Screening of Guests and Baggage
- Rule 12: Acceptance of Children and Infants
- Rule 13: Refusal to Transport
- Rule 14: No-Smoking Policy
- Rule 15: Codeshare Flights
- Rule 16: Interline Transportation
- Rule 17: Carry-On Baggage
- Rule 18: Checked Baggage
- Rule 19: Acceptance of Dogs, Cats, and Household Birds for Travel
- Rule 20: Liability and Claims
- Rule 21: Flight Delays, Changes, Cancellations, and Aircraft Changes
- Rule 22: Denied Boarding and Compensation Due to Oversales
- Rule 23: Rerouting
- Rule 24: Refunds
- Rule 25: Customer Relations
As used in this Contract of Carriage, the following terms have the meanings ascribed to them below, unless otherwise defined herein:
- “Adult” means a person who has reached his/her eighteenth birthday as of the date of travel.
- “Alternate transportation” means air transportation with a confirmed reservation at no additional charge (by any scheduled airline licensed by the DOT), or other transportation accepted and used by you in the case of denied boarding.
- “Applicable adult fare” means the fare which would be applicable to an adult for the transportation, but, excluding any special fares applicable to a guest’s status, e.g., Military fares, adult standby, etc.
- “Baggage” means such reasonable articles, effects, and other personal property of a ticketed guest as are reasonably necessary or appropriate for the wear, use, comfort, or convenience of the guest in connection with the guest’s trip. Unless otherwise specified, it shall include both checked and carry-on-baggage and property of the guest.
- “Baggage Check Tag” mean those portions of the Ticket that identify your checked baggage and that are issued by the carrier as a receipt for your checked baggage.
- “Bicycle Case” means a sealed box, hard-sided, or soft-sided case containing a bicycle, and/or bicycle accessories, that has an Outside Linear Dimension greater than 62 inches (157 cm) and less than 115 inches (292 cm).
- “Board Item.” See Rule 18(D)(22).
- “Carriage” means transportation of guests and their baggage by air or ground, either gratuitously or for payment.
- “Carrier” means Hawaiian Airlines, Inc. and/or other carrier(s) participating with Hawaiian in interline transportation.
- “Carry-on-baggage” means baggage, other than checked baggage, carried on board an aircraft by a ticketed guest. It may also be referred to as unchecked baggage.
- “Checked baggage” means baggage, other than carry-on baggage, that a ticketed guest has requested be carried by the carrier and for which the carrier has issued a Baggage Check Tag to the guest.
- “Claim.” See Rule 20(B)(1)(a).
- “Claim Date.” See Rule 20(B)(1)(c)(i).
- “Codeshare Flight” means any flight operated by another carrier with our designator code “HA” followed by a 4-digit flight number.
- “Codeshare Partner” means any carrier that we have an agreement with for Codeshare Flights.
- “Comparable air transportation” means transportation provided by air carriers or foreign air carriers holding certificates of public convenience and necessity or foreign permits as applicable.
- “Confirmed reserved space” means space on a specific date and on a specific flight and class of service that has been requested by a guest, and that Hawaiian or one of our agents has verified against an appropriate notation on the Ticket as being reserved for that guest.
- “Connecting Carrier(s).” See Rule 21(B)(1).
- “Connecting Point.” See Rule 21(B)(2).
- “Consequential damages” means any direct and/or indirect damages you may incur as the result of any flight irregularity (delay or cancellation) or arising out of or relating to this Contract of Carriage, including but not limited to loss of wages/income/salary/profits, the purchase of new ticket, unused hotel accommodation, unused ground transportation, missed scheduled events, and similar damages.
- “Continental USA” means the District of Columbia and all contiguous states of the USA. Alaska and Hawaii are not included.
- “Contract of Carriage” means the terms and conditions contained in this document, as amended from time to time by Hawaiian.
- “Days” means full calendar days, including Sundays and legal holidays, provided that for the purposes of notification, the balance of the day upon which notice is sent shall not be counted; and that for purposes of determining the duration of a validity period, the balance of the day upon which the ticket is issued or the flight commenced shall not be counted.
- “Delivering Carrier.” See Rule 21(B)(3).
- “Destination” means the ultimate point of the guest’s journey as shown on the Ticket.
- “Domestic” means occurring within the USA.
- “DOT” means United States Department of Transportation.
- “eTicket” is the record of the ticket agreement maintained and processed within the carrier’s electronic reservation system. A receipt is provided to the purchaser of the Ticket that contains a reference for retrieving the record within the carrier’s reservation system and summary of the Ticket information. The carrier may mandate the issuance of an e-ticket, regardless of market, carrier, form of payment, and customer type.
- “FAA” means Federal Aviation Administration.
- “Force Majeure Event.” See Rule 21(B)(4).
- “Government Laws” means all applicable laws, regulations, rules, and security directives imposed by any federal, state, local, or other government agencies including, but not limited to, those imposed during or because of a national emergency, war, civil unrest, or any terrorist activity.
- “Guardian” means one who legally has the care and management of an infant/minor.
- “Guest” means any person, except members of the crew, carried or holding a confirmed reservation to be carried in a civil aircraft pursuant to a Ticket.
- “Hawaiian” means Hawaiian Airlines, Inc.
- “HawaiianMiles” means Hawaiian Airlines, Inc.’s frequent flyer program.
- “Immediate Family” means spouse, parents and grandparents, children and grandchildren, brothers and sisters, mother-in-law and father-in-law, brothers-in-law and sisters-in-law, daughters-in-law and sons-in-law. Adopted, half and step members of the foregoing are also included in Immediate Family.
- “Infant” means a person who has not reached his/her second birthday as of the date of travel.
- “Irregular Operation.” See Rule 21(B)(6).
- “MedAire” is the medical advisory group that we contract with for MedLink and other services.
- “MedLink” is a service that allows crew-to-physician phone contact from anywhere in the world.
- “Mental Patient” means a guest with a mental condition causing him/her to be deranged, or a guest involuntarily committed patient of a mental health institution, and who is allowed to travel pursuant to Rule 13(F)(7).
- “Military” means departments of the USA Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard; the respective academies of the USA Army, Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard; and the USA National Guard. The Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) is not included.
- “Minor” means any person under 18 years of age.
- “Misconnection.” See Rule 21(B)(5).
- “‘Ohana by Hawaiian” refers to Empire Airlines’ flights marketed under the DBA ‘Ohana by Hawaiian.
- “Online transportation” means air transportation wholly on the same carrier.
- “Our” means Hawaiian Airlines, Inc.
- “Outside Linear Dimension” means the sum of the greatest outside length plus the greatest outside width plus the greatest outside height.
- “Oversold flight” means a flight where there are more guests holding valid confirmed Tickets that check in for a flight, within the prescribed check in time, than there are available seats.
- “PAP” means a positive airway pressure device used to aid individuals with sleep apnea and includes (i) continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) devices, (ii) automatic positive airway pressure (APAP) devices and (iii) variable positive airway pressure (VPAP/bilevel) devices.
- “Pet” or “pets” means dogs, cats, and birds only.
- “POC” means portable oxygen concentrator.
- “Qualified individual with a disability” means any individual who has a physical or mental impairment that, on a permanent or temporary basis, substantially limits one or more major life activities, has a record of such an impairment, or is regarded as having such an impairment. The phrases used in this definition are further defined in 14 CFR § 382.3.
- “Reroute” means a change of routing, fare, carriers, class of service, flight, or date from that originally provided for on the ticket.
- “Round-trip” means any trip, the ultimate destination of which is the point of origin, and which is made via the same routing in both directions.
- “Routing” means the cities and/or class of service and/or type of aircraft via which carriage is provided by carrier(s) between two points.
- “Service Animal” means a dog, individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a guest who is a qualified individual with a disability.
- “Standard Bag.” See Rule 18(B)(1).
- “Stopover” means a deliberate interruption of more than four hours of a journey by the guest at a point between the place of departure and the place of destination. For example, a stopover occurs when the connecting time between two flights on a ticket is longer than four hours.
- “Ticket” means the record of agreement, including electronic tickets, e.g., “Hawaiian Electronic Tickets” or “eTickets,” for guest air transportation provided by Hawaiian under certain terms and conditions to the guest named on the Ticket and in accordance with applicable governing tariffs and regulations.
- “TSA” means Transportation Security Administration.
- “Unaccompanied Minor” means a person 5 to 11 years of age when traveling alone or not accompanied on the same flight and in the same compartment by a companion guest at least 15 years of age or with a guardian or parent.
- “USA” means the 50 federated states and the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana, Islands, and the Minor Outlying Islands.
- “We” means Hawaiian Airlines, Inc.
- “Windsurfing Item.” See Rule 18(D)(24).
- “You” or “your.” See definition of “Guest” above.