- Full Text
- Rule 1: Definitions
- Rule 2: General Provisions
- Rule 3: Reservations and Ticketing
- Rule 4: Cancellation of Reservations
- Rule 5: Tickets and Flight Coupons
- Rule 6: Fares
- Rule 7: Check Acceptance
- Rule 8: Guests with Disabilities, Breathing Devices and Pre-Planned Oxygen Service
- Rule 9: Wheelchairs and Other Assistive Devices
- Rule 10: Service Animals
- Rule 11: Screening of Guests and Baggage
- Rule 12: Acceptance of Children and Infants
- Rule 13: Refusal to Transport
- Rule 14: No-Smoking Policy
- Rule 15: Codeshare Flights
- Rule 16: Interline Transportation
- Rule 17: Carry-On Baggage
- Rule 18: Checked Baggage
- Rule 19: Acceptance of Dogs, Cats, and Birds for Travel
- Rule 20: Liability and Claims
- Rule 21: Flight Delays, Changes, Cancellations, and Aircraft Changes
- Rule 22: Denied Boarding and Compensation Due to Oversales
- Rule 23: Rerouting
- Rule 24: Refunds
- Rule 25: Customer Relations
IMPORTANT NOTE: This Rule 19 does not apply to the transportation of Service Animals, nor to animals transported as cargo. For Service Animals and Support Animals, please see Rule 10: Service Animals of this Contract of Carriage. For cargo arrangements, please visit our cargo page at: www.hawaiianaircargo.com, or call us at 1-877-HA-CARGO (422-2746).
This Rule 19 applies to dogs, cats, and birds only. For purposes of this Rule 19, the use of the word “pet,” or “pets,” refers only to dogs, cats and birds.
YOU ASSUME FULL FINANCIAL AND OTHER RESPONSIBILITY FOR COMPLIANCE WITH THIS RULE 19 AND ALL GOVERNMENTAL REQUIREMENTS, REGULATIONS, OR RESTRICTIONS, INCLUDING ENTRY PERMITS AND REQUIRED HEALTH CERTIFICATES FOR YOUR ANIMALS. IF YOU FAIL TO MEET THE REQUIREMENTS OF ANY GOVERNING JURISDICTION, YOUR ANIMAL MAY BE DENIED TRANSPORT. YOU AGREE TO REIMBURSE US FOR ANY COSTS AND EXPENSES, LOSSES, OR DAMAGES INCURRED THAT: (1) RESULT FROM YOUR FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THIS RULE 19 INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, BOARDING FEES, ADDITIONAL TRANSPORT FEES, VETERINARIAN COSTS, AND ANY OTHER RELATED SERVICE EXPENSES; (2) RELATE TO ANY CHANGE IN TRAVEL PLANS, INCLUDING A CHANGE IN SEATING ACCOMMODATIONS, CHANGE OF AIRCRAFT, CANCELLATION OF TRAVEL, ALTERNATIVE TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS, OR OTHERWISE AS A RESULT OF OR RELATING TO YOUR ANIMAL BEING REMOVED FROM A FLIGHT OR NOT ACCEPTED FOR TRAVEL IN ACCORDANCE WITH THIS RULE 19; AND (3) RESULT FROM THE BEHAVIOR OF YOUR ANIMAL, INCLUDING ANY DAMAGE AND HARM TO ANY PERSON OR PROPERTY.
We recommend that you provide us with advance notification of your intent to travel with your dog, cat or bird by calling us at 1-800-367-5320 or by emailing us using our Ask a Question page located at HawaiianAirlines.com/contact-us/email/general-questions.
- GENERAL CONDITIONS OF TRAVEL FOR ALL DOGS, CATS, AND BIRDS ONLY. We will not accept peacocks, ferrets, rodents (i.e., guinea pigs, mice, rats, etc.), spiders, mosquitoes, reptiles (i.e., snakes, turtles, etc.), or live fish for transportation as carry-on baggage or checked baggage under any circumstances.
For us to accept your dog, cat, or bird (also referred to as “pet” or “pets”), you must be a ticketed guest traveling on the same flight as your pet(s) and satisfy all the required terms and conditions of this Rule 19. For pets needing travel that do not meet the requirements for of this Rule 19, and for any other types of animals, please see our cargo page at: HawaiianAirCargo.com, or call us at 1-877-HA-CARGO (422-2746) to make other arrangements.
The purpose of this Rule 19 is to ensure the safety and security of our guests and crew, and the well-being of your pets. We strongly recommend that you read and understand all the provisions of this Rule 19 before attempting to travel with any pets.
You must satisfy all the general conditions of this Section (A) below to travel with your pet(s).
NOTE: WE WILL NOT TRANSPORT ANY PET TO OR FROM NEW YORK, MASSACHUSETTS, FLORIDA, TEXAS, OR AMERICAN SAMOA OTHER THAN THROUGH OUR CARGO SERVICES. PLEASE SEE OUR CARGO CONTACT INFORMATION ABOVE.
- We Must Have Space Available. We will only accept a limited number of kennels per flight in the aircraft cabin or baggage compartment. We recommend that you notify us in advance if you plan to travel with your pet(s) so that we can confirm that space on the aircraft is available for your pet(s).
- No Dogs or Cats Less Than 8 Weeks Old; No Birds Less Than 2 Weeks Old. We will not accept any dog or cat less than eight (8) weeks old and any bird less than two (2) weeks old, and we reserve the right to require documentation from your veterinarian that your pet(s) meets the stated requirements.
- No Interline Transfers. Live animals will not be accepted for interline transfer to or from any other airline other than ‘Ohana by Hawaiian. We will only accept pets for travel on our flights and those of ‘Ohana by Hawaiian when: (i) you check in at one of our ticket counters; (ii) you do not have a connecting flight operated by another carrier, and (iii) you satisfy all of the applicable requirements stated in this Rule 19.
- You Have an Approved Kennel. In addition to meeting any other kennel requirements set forth in this Rule 19, your kennel must also meet the requirements of (i) the United States Department of Agriculture Animal Welfare Act (AWA) which can be found at www.nal.usda.gov/awic/animal-welfare-act and (ii) the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Animal and Plant Inspection Service which can be found at www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel.
- You Obtained an Animal Heath Certificate (Except for Interisland Travel). You must provide us with a copy of an animal health certificate for each pet traveling to or from the State of Hawaii dated not earlier than fourteen (14) days prior to arrival at your destination. The animal health certificate must be from a licensed veterinarian and indicate that the designated animal is healthy enough for the intended travel.
- You Comply With Any Applicable Special Rules. There are special rules applicable to travel to and/or from specific states. You are responsible for ensuring that your pet meets all applicable state specific requirements.
- You Satisfy the State of Hawaii Restrictions for Any Animals Arriving in Hawaii. The State of Hawaii has strict laws regarding the import of animals. Some animals that may be allowed in other states may be restricted or prohibited in Hawaii. PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR UNDERSTANDING AND COMPLYING WITH STATE OF HAWAII REQUIREMENTS. If you are considering bringing your pet to Hawaii, you should contact the State of Hawaii Animal Industry Division – Animal Quarantine Branch at hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/aqs/animal-quarantine-information-page as soon as possible to make sure that your animal meets their requirements for entry into the state. Because of all the necessary procedures, the process must generally begin months in advance of travel to Hawaii.
- Special Rules for travel from North America direct to Neighbor Islands: A Neighbor Island Inspection Permit issued by the State of Hawaii Industry Division is required for all animals traveling from North America direct to OGG, LIH, or KOA. If you do not have the required document, your pet will not be allowed to travel.
- Dogs and Cats: Dogs and cats may be quarantined for up to 120 days upon arrival in the State of Hawaii unless they meet all the State’s 5-Day-Or-Less program requirements, which include certain pet vaccinations, a blood test, and waiting periods. A Neighbor Island Inspection Permit issued by the State of Hawaii Industry Division must be shown to the airline and is required to fly a cat or dog directly to an approved neighbor island airport from the Continental USA and Alaska.
- Birds: Most bird species, except certain poultry, require two (2) permits – a Plant Quarantine Import Permit AND a Poultry and Bird Permit from the Livestock Disease Control Branch. Furthermore, many bird species are prohibited from entry into the State of Hawaii or may only enter under specific conditions. Birds are also not permitted to travel directly into (i) Kahului, Maui, (ii) Lihue, Kauai, and (iii) Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, on a State of Hawaii Direct Entry Permit.
- TRAVEL IN THE AIRCRAFT CABIN (DOGS AND CATS ONLY). BIRDS ARE NOT ALLOWED. We may accept small dogs and cats only as pets for travel in the main cabin of our aircraft if you meet all the applicable requirements this Section (B). Any dog or cat that does not meet the requirements of this Section (B) may be checked for travel in the baggage compartment of our aircraft upon meeting all the requirements of Section (C) below of this Rule 19. Any animal not meeting the applicable requirements of Section (B) or Section (C) of this Rule 19 will be refused transport. We will not accept any birds for travel in the aircraft cabin.
YOU ASSUME FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE SAFETY, WELL-BEING, AND CONDUCT OF YOUR DOG OR CAT, INCLUDING THE INTERACTION OF YOUR DOG OR CAT WITH OTHER GUESTS WHILE ON BOARD THE AIRCRAFT.
- You satisfy all the General Conditions. No dog or cat will be accepted for travel in the cabin of our aircraft unless you satisfy all the conditions of Section (A) above of this Rule 19.
- Special Rules for Cabin Travel from North America to Hawaii. The State of Hawaii has very stringent import restrictions that apply to live animals. Hawaii is the only state that remains rabies free. To ensure that each pet brought to Hawaii is properly screened by the State of Hawaii Animal Industry Division – Animal Quarantine Branch (“HNL Quarantine”), you must wait to deplane until you are met by one of our guest services agents on arrival in Hawaii. Pets traveling in the aircraft cabin on any flights from North America to HNL that arrive at HNL Quarantine after 4:30 PM HST may not be released by HNL Quarantine on the same day and may be required to remain at HNL Quarantine overnight. We do not accept pets for travel in the aircraft cabin for any flights from New York, Massachusetts, Florida and Texas.
- You Provide an Acceptable Kennel. A kennel is required for cabin travel, and it must:
- be soft-sided and leak proof;
- be large enough to allow the animal(s) to sit, stand upright, turn around, and lie down in a natural position.
- be no larger than 16 inches (40 cm) long by 10 inches (25 cm) wide by 9.5 inches (24 cm) tall; and
- be in proper working condition to safely secure the animal(s) in a manner that ensures that the animal will remain in the carrier for the duration of the flight (i.e., animal will not be able to escape).
NOTE: NO MORE THAN (I) ONE (1) MATURE DOG OR CAT, OR (II) TWO (2) PUPPIES OR KITTENS OF THE SAME BREED OR LITTER MAY OCCUPY A SINGLE KENNEL; PROVIDED, HOWEVER, THAT THE TOTAL WEIGHT, INCLUDING THE KENNEL, DOES NOT EXCEED 25 POUNDS (11 KG). WE RESERVE THE RIGHT IN OUR SOLE DISCRETION TO DETERMINE WHETHER THE KENNEL IS ACCEPTABLE FOR TRAVEL.
- You Pay the Required Kennel Fee and Do Not Exceed the Carry-On Limit. You must pay the applicable kennel fee to transport your dog or cat in the cabin. Upon payment of the kennel fee, you are allowed one (1) kennel in addition to your one (1) carry-on bag and one (1) personal item. The kennel fee is as follows:
- Travel within the State of Hawaii: $35.00.
- Travel between the State of Hawaii and North America: $125.00.
- No Offensive or Disruptive Behavior. We will refuse to accept, and may remove from any flight, any dog or cat that is offensive or disruptive. The decision on whether a dog or cat is offensive or disruptive shall be in our sole discretion based on one or more factors, which may include, for example:
- the displays of certain behaviors or traits such as excessive barking (for dogs only);
- emitting strong odors;
- growling or hissing; and
- failure to be housebroken.
- Special Seating Requirements. The following rules apply to seating:
- No pets are permitted in:
- the first-class section of the aircraft (except for interisland travel);
- the bulkhead rows;
- the emergency exit rows; and
- and any other seating location that in our sole discretion may pose a safety risk.
- You must stow your kennel under the seat directly in front of you.
- Your animal(s) must remain in its kennel at all times while in the boarding area and any airport lounge, during boarding and deplaning, and always while on-board the aircraft.
- No pets are permitted in:
- TRAVEL IN THE AIRCRAFT BAGGAGE COMPARTMENT (DOGS, CATS, AND BIRDS). We may accept dogs, cats, and birds for travel in the baggage compartment of our aircraft if you meet all the requirements of this Section (C). For flights arriving in Honolulu, Hawaii, we will transport your pet upon arrival from baggage to the Airport Animal Quarantine Holding Facility, where you will pick-up your pet after it has been inspected. You are responsible for understanding their hours of operation, any fees, inspection and release procedures, and any other rules applicable to animals entering the State of Hawaii.
- You satisfy all the General Conditions. No dog, cat, or bird will be accepted for travel in the baggage compartment of our aircraft unless you satisfy all the conditions of Section (A). above of this Rule 19.
- We Have Space Available. For the safety of your animals, we are limited to transporting three (3) kennels in the baggage compartment of any flight operated by Hawaiian and one (1) kennel in the baggage compartment of any flight operated by ‘Ohana by Hawaiian. Space is booked on a first-come first-served basis.
- No Pets accepted for travel to or from New York, Massachusetts, Florida, Texas and American Samoa. We will not transport any pet to or from New York, Massachusetts, Florida, Texas and American Samoa other than through our cargo services.
- No Animals in the Baggage Compartment from April 15 Through October 15 for Select Cities. We will not accept any animals in the baggage compartment of our aircraft from April 15 through October 15 for travel to or from the following cities:
- San Jose, California (SJC);
- Sacramento, California (SMF);
- Las Vegas, Nevada (LAS); and
- Phoenix, Arizona (PHX).
- You Sign a Liability Release.
- All animals. We require that you sign our general liability release form prior to accepting your pet for transport in the baggage compartment of our aircraft.
- Snub Nose/Short Nose Pets. For any snub nose/short nose dog or cat, you: (1) acknowledge our warning regarding the risk to the snub nosed/short nosed animal(s); (2) release us from all liability resulting from the transportation of your snub nosed/short nosed animal(s); and (3) agree not to file any claim with us relating to the transportation of your snub nosed/short nosed animal(s). Snub nose/short nose pets have been shown to suffer severe respiratory difficulties either in transit, or because of Hawaii’s tropical climate. Thus, we discourage the transport of these animals if they cannot be transported in the cabin of the aircraft.
- You Provide an Acceptable Kennel. A kennel is required for any animal traveling in the baggage compartment of our aircraft. The kennel must:
- be non-folding and non-collapsible;
- be hard-sided (e.g., wood, metal, or a material of comparable strength), leak-proof, designed to prevent escape, and have adequate handholds to enable lifting the kennel without coming into contact with the animal;
- be in a proper working condition that will safely secure the animal in a manner that ensures that the animal will remain in the carrier while in our possession and for the duration of the flight (i.e., animal will not be able to escape);
- be large enough to allow the animal to sit, stand upright, turn, and lie down in a natural position;
- not exceed 36″L x 25″W x 27″H; and
- for any flights between the Continental USA and Hawaii, have two dishes (one for food and one for water) attached to the inside of the kennel which are accessible from the outside of the kennel, so they can be filled from outside the kennel without opening the kennel door. Note, however, birds are unable to be fed or provided with water from outside the kennel when a mosquito net is required per State of Hawaii Animal Industry Division rules and regulation.
NOTE: NO MORE THAN: (A) ONE (1) MATURE DOG OR CAT, (B) TWO (2) PUPPIES OR KITTENS OF THE SAME LITTER OR BREED NOT MORE THAN SIX (6) MONTHS OLD, OR (C) TWO BIRDS, OF THE SAME SPECIES MAY OCCUPY A SINGLE KENNEL; PROVIDED, HOWEVER, THAT THE TOTAL WEIGHT, INCLUDING THE KENNEL, DOES NOT EXCEED 70 POUNDS (31.5 KG), AND THE WEIGHT OF ANY ANIMAL(S) CARRIED IN THE KENNEL DOES NOT EXCEED THE MAXIMUM WEIGHT RECOMMENDED BY THE MANUFACTURER OF THE KENNEL. WE RESERVE THE RIGHT IN OUR SOLE DISCRETION TO DETERMINE WHETHER THE KENNEL IS ACCEPTABLE FOR TRAVEL.
- You Pay the Required Kennel Fee. You must pay the applicable kennel fee to transport your pets in the baggage compartment. The fee per kennel is as follows:
- Travel within the State of Hawaii: $60.00.
- Travel from North America to Hawaii: $225.00.
- Travel from the State of Hawaii to North America: $225.00.
- The Environmental Conditions Are Adequate. We will not accept animals for travel in the baggage compartment of our aircraft, if we determine, in our sole discretion, that current environmental conditions may pose a hazard to the safety or comfort of the animal. In making our determination, we may consider, for example, the following maximum and minimum temperature conditions:
- Maximum Temperature – Whether the local temperature at the origin, destination, or connecting airport is, or is expected to be, above 85F/29C, determined at the time you present your animal for travel.
- Minimum Temperature - Whether the local temperature at the origin, destination, or connecting airport is, or is expected to be, below 45F/7C, determined at the time you present your animal for travel. If the temperature at any location is, or is expected to be, below 45F/7C, we may take into consideration an acclimation certificate issued and signed by a licensed veterinarian and dated within ten (10) days of travel stating the minimum temperature at which the animal may travel safely. Animals will never be accepted to/from any Continental USA destination if the temperature is, or is expected to be, less than 20F/-7C at any point during transport.
IF WE ARE UNABLE TO ACCEPT AN ANIMAL DUE TO ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS, YOU MAY REBOOK TO THE NEXT AVAILABLE FLIGHT THAT HAS SPACE AVAILABLE FOR YOU AND YOUR ANIMAL, SUBJECT TO SATISFACTORY ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS. ANY APPLICABLE FARE DIFFERENCES OR DATE CHANGE PENALTIES WILL BE WAIVED, PROVIDED THAT ANY TRAVEL IS REBOOKED TO THE SAME CLASS OF SERVICE AS ORIGINALLY TICKETED.
- Special Additional Rules for Birds Only
- Certain species of birds are considered “injurious bird species” and require a permit from Hawaii’s Division of Forestry and Wildlife (DOFAW) prior to travel. It is your responsibility to comply with any DOFAW rules and regulations, and to obtain any necessary permits for travel.
- Birds traveling on interisland flights must be inspected by the Hawaii Department of Agriculture prior to being accepted by Hawaiian for travel.
- In certain cases, a mosquito net is required per State of Hawaii Animal Industry Division rules and regulations. You are responsible for complying with these rules and regulations.
- We will not accept any birds for travel to and from Phoenix, Arizona.